Scaling and root planing involving numbing is a procedure done to remove the bacterial build up (“calculus”) formed at and below the gumline in order to obtain a healing response so that the gum tissue can reattach to root surfaces that are smooth and free from bacterial deposits.
● Please wait until the numbness has worn off before eating. It is normal to experience some soreness in the areas of injection. Most discomfort will subside in the next 12-72 hours.
● Avoid extremely hot or cold food for the next 24-48 hours. It is also important to avoid acidic foods (your teeth might be sensitive) and hard foods such as popcorn, or seeds as you are healing. Sharp particles can become lodged in the pockets between the teeth and gums, irritating the tissues.
● Avoid tobacco products for at least 72 hours.
● Brush your mouth very gently as it may be tender or bleeding for a few days.
● Rinsing your mouth with warm salt water (1 tsp salt/8 oz water) 2-3 times a day will help relieve the pain and cleanse the area. It will also speed up the recovery of gum tissues.
● If you are experiencing any swelling in the area, apply a cold compress for 20 minutes.
● We will re-evaluate your healing by re-measuring your pockets in 3 months when you come back for a periodontal maintenance
● Please make sure to floss or Waterpik on a daily basis to maintain your periodontal health!
Using recommended products and supplements on a daily basis for at least 4 weeks or longer will improve your long-term healing and prognosis, preventing the need for another deep cleaning in the future. You can purchase them at our practice or have them shipped to you.
- Liposomal Vitamin C (once a day, usually with breakfast, put 1 teaspoon in your mouth and gently swish for 30 sec prior to swallowing).
- Probiotic toothpaste features purified silver, coenzymeQ10, grape seed extract, and Dental-Lac™, and Lactobacillus paracasei probiotic has been proven to help support healthy oral microflora and prevent periodontal health. Apply it on the teeth and gums after brushing and flossing, gently rub it in using a toothbrush and leave the product on. Do not rinse your mouth or drink water right after. This product is safe to swallow.
- Apply Ozonated Tooth and Gum Support once a day. Use a small amount to apply it on your gums with a Q-tip or floss and leave it on. If the flavor of the product is not agreeing with you, we can make custom trays (same as bleaching trays) that you can use when applying ozonated oil.
- If you have a more advanced stage of periodontal disease affecting bone level and quality, a properly balanced supplement for maintaining an optimal bone quality is highly recommended. We suggest OsteoForce by Designs by Health – a beautifully designed blend of highly absorbable minerals and vitamins to support healthy bones.